A Vow And a Vote of Thanks


Power of Prayer - A Series

By Allana Austin



Two - Part Two: A vow and a vote of thanks  

1 Samuel 2: 1-10





Hannah’s gratitude

Do you remember me? “I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the Lord.” Many times I came to you weeping, my countenance extremely sad and my frame weak, but “For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of Him.” [1 Samuel 1:25 – 26] Now I stand before you in jubilance, “My heart rejoiceth in the LORD, my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation.” [1 Samuel 2:1] You have raised my position in the eyes of my family, and my community. In giving me this child, you have removed reproach from me, and increased my wealth.

Hannah could not have borne or birthed this child, Samuel, if she was not perseverant in her prayers. And now she had returned unto the Lord to express heartfelt gratitude!



Prayer of Imprecation

“And she vowed a vow and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.” [1 Samuel 1:11] “Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.” [1 Samuel 1:28]

Do we think it curious or bold of her to say that she would lend the child God gave to her, back to Him? Is she implying that she has that authority to do so? Shâ’êl is the Hebrew equivalent of the “lent” used in the previous passage; it defines this “lent” as ‘lay to charge’, ‘request’ or ‘consult’. It differs from nâshâh that is used in Deuteronomy 15: 19 and Jeremiah 15:10 which implies reciprocity. Hannah vowed to raise her son as a Nazarite, and to commit him to the service of the Lord. She is not demanding or expecting reciprocity, she is giving back to the Lord a portion of her blessing. [Luke 6:38, Proverbs 3:9, Malachi 3:10]



The weight of the Prayer of Imprecation

 A ‘promise’ is defined as a declaration of assurance that one will do a thing. A ‘vow’ is defined as a solemn promise. That being said promises or vows are broken everyday, we may let down our family and peers, dodge our creditors, and break contracts without dire circumstances, but to break a vow unto the Lord is a whole other matter. “When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.” [Ecclesiastes 5:4-5]



The account of Annanias and Saphira is indelible in our minds, and serves as a cautionary tale, it would have been better for them not to vow at all, than to make a vow and break it. The pair became a personification of the “wages of sin is death.” [Romans 6:23] They were cut down immediately, not because of their withholding but their willful deception, disobedience and breaking the promise they made to further the work of the church. It was a sign to the young church the weight of the covenants that we enter with God.

Many times God in his wisdom delays our punishment, and we don’t see this as the mercy it is, we become complacent and forego repentance. This sentiment is similarly expressed in Numbers 30: 1-2 and Leviticus 26: 14-39 paints a horrifying picture of what can occur when we walk contrary to the Lord.

In light of this knowledge, I believe Hannah did not make this vow lightly and gladly furnished her son when the time had come. [1 Samuel 2: 11]



Conclusion

Let us not forget the vows we have made, the vows we make at baptism, the vows we make at the altar, the vows we make to our Lord and our children at their christening. Let us endeavor, nay; let us vow to pray for one another, to be faithful to one another, in Christian charity.

Let us vow to be like Daniel.

To never cease in prayer.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having the Faith of Jesus

State of Emergency

Heaven on Earth